Wednesday, June 30

My Phd Roller coaster ride _PART 2 (kisah teman)


sambungan lagi....

 -----------------------------------------------------

Note # 4 PhD is to train us to be independent scientists /academicians .

When I started my PhD , I thought I was going to learn about new techniques. At the end of my PhD.. techniques was only a small part of what I learned. I also learned how to read and handle literature, be critical with literature, how to do good research, be accountable for every step I take in the lab, troubleshoot experiments, handling analysis and tell what is good results and what is not, statistics ! , how to give good presentations, how to write journals and thesis, how to voice out your opinions, how to defend your thoughts, how to handle difficult people, how to handle different cultures, how to work in a team, how to build networks.. everything that will help me to be a better researcher in the future. I had always ask my sv, do I have enough results ? and she always says, it’s not how much results..but what u do with it.. because all of the above is important to for us to pursue our career as scientists or academicians.

Note #5 Work hard, play hard

This is very important. Time is precious and will not wait for you. So the time that we have to work..work like a crazy person!. At the end of the day, go home, don’t think about studies, have fun with friends and families then the next day, go to work again. Try to have at least one day off in the week. We are not a robot and need a break too. DO reward ourselves after a milestone is met, or a draft is handed in.. go on a trip , or a picnic, or do something fun.. The body and mind need it. Try to have other life than just PhD, but still bear in mind that PhD is still the priority. Play a sport, relax with family and mingle with friends. All of those other activities help us to 'vent ' and be less stressful

Listen to our body to know when a break is needed. If stuck, can’t concentrate, no ideas, staring at the computer for an hour and fingers are not moving, then maybe it’s time for a break..take a walk, go to gym, munch, get a coffee , or have a SHORT chat with a friend. If that’s late in the day, just pack up and go home.. sleep on it and start again the next day. Our immune system may also indicate that it’s time for a break. I actually had monthly ‘feverish’ episodes. I will feel that I was coming down with something, but all was needed was a long rest. After sleeping on it, the next day, I would be fine!

Note #6 PhD is a job

A job which requires a set hours of time, a distraction-free area to work (I think this is especially true for moms) and the discipline that you need when the boss is watching you. The set hours of time are very critical. It doesn’t have to be 8-5 but it should be about 8 hours a day .See what suits our study mode and schedule. I was blessed because with my husband’s help, I can be at/lab/room/library from 8.30-5.30 almost every day and the last 3-4 months , I do spend from 8-8 writing. If I have to be somewhere in the day, I will try to make up for it by coming early or work late the next day. I think the long chunk of hours is especially necessary during the thesis writing phase. This is because, ideas take a long time to come.. I’m usually most productive after 3-4 hours of thinking, reading, so it helps because I have quite a long period of time to stay productive. I also had my own room at the library during my writing phase which I call a cave but very inducive towards thinking and writing (and occasional nap..opps! ) Work that I do at home is minimal, just reading a few articles at night or something like that cause I get really distracted at home. Most libraries in universities have these rooms, see if you uni has one that u can use.

Note #7 20% intelligence, 80% persistence

The only time I was first in my class was when I was in Std 1. I’m consistently in the bottom 10 in my class throughout my secondary school years ( ok..of course I was blessed to be in a good school). I had C6 and C7 in my SPM. So I am not sure if I can be categorized as intelligent . But I know I had worked very hard and tried to be very persistent during my PhD. What I mean by being persistent is setting a goal and pushing myself in every way possible to achieve the goal. This includes 1) Seeking knowledge – go to classes, read, google, talk to everyone possible. 2) Being pro-active and try to always find ways to improve my work 3) Not giving up easily - constantly thinking of the different approaches to achieve my goals 4) Accept that I make mistakes and have many weaknesses and aim to improve it 4)) Will strive to always produce my best work . Alhamdullillah..what I did worked

(have a look at http://www/. stevepavlina. com/blog/2005/06/self-discipline-persistence/ for more explanation on persistence)

Note # 8 Handling literature.

Oh My God ! Reading Literature ! what a pain !!!!!!! The reason why I drink coffee now ! And remembering what I have read was even worse !!

OK..I think everyone struggle with literature especially when it’s not in our first language. Here are some strategies that helped me.

a) Selective reading . If it’s a review, yeah..maybe we need to read the whole paper, but for some paper, we just want the methods, or results, or sometimes the reference, so select. In general my sv said read abstract, results then methods. Careful with the discussion because discussions are in a way someone else’s opinion

b) Output learning is important ( gosh! exactly what I recommended to my Std 6 son ) . After reading, write it down. maybe just a scribble on the front page of the paper, or write a paragraph. I found tables help when there’s heaps of similar papers. For example, the different genes that control reproduction. The column can be the genes and the rows can be what is known about them -function, localization, what species…etc.... I actually put these tables in my thesis to ‘show’ them..hey ! I’ve read! The other thing that works for me is mind maps. Xmind is a mindmap program that can be downloaded for free. I recommend that , it helps in getting a ‘clear picture’

c) Now ..how do we know if we’ve read enough ?… I hate to say this ..but the only way is to write ! I think that is why we are always recommended to start writing thesis early. Only when we’ve sorted our thoughts and knowledge ON PAPER and then we know what we know and what we don’t know..and what else to read.. and remember those topics that we think that we know we should read but decided not to because “ maybe I can get away with it”.. READ IT !! We can’t get away with it ! It may work in high school but not your PhD!

..stay tune for the last 4 notes :)..
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Apa kata anda?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin